Search This Blog

Book Review: Mind Games by Kiersten White

Fia was born with flawless instincts. Her first impulse, her gut feeling, is always exactly right. Her sister, Annie, is blind to the world around her—except when her mind is gripped by strange visions of the future.


Trapped in a school that uses girls with extraordinary powers as tools for corporate espionage, Annie and Fia are forced to choose over and over between using their abilities in twisted, unthinkable ways…or risking each other’s lives by refusing to obey.

In a stunning departure from her New York Times bestselling Paranormalcy trilogy, Kiersten White delivers a slick, edgy, heartstoppingly intense psychological thriller about two sisters determined to protect each other—no matter the cost.


Mind Games
By: Kiersten White
Publisher: HarperTeen
Series: Mind Games #1
Release Date: February 19, 2013
Reviewed: Hardcover


Two sisters, bound by impossible choices, are determined to protect each other—no matter the cost.

James's frozen face melts into a smile. "Do you want to know the trick to getting in trouble under the watchful eye of a psychic?"

I think of the nailed-shut windows. I think of Clarice. I think of the two, the two, the two who are now zero. Tap tap. "Yes, I absolutely do."

"Don't plan it. Don't even think about it. The second you get an inkling of what you could do, do it then. Never plan anything ahead of time. Always go on pure instinct."

I smile. "I think I can do that."



Mind Games was amazing! I didn't realize that I was getting into a “kick-butt” woman novel, however I should have figured since I've watched some of Kiersten White’s “Kick-butt” videos. Mind Games was way better than I was expecting. If you haven’t read this book, you really need to go pick up a copy. I loved that Kiersten White did a dual point of view with both sisters. I absolutely love Annie and Fia.

Fia has a very complicated life. Her parents died when she was young and her older sister Annie is blind. Annie and Fia go to a special school for girls with special gifts. They started attending this school at a young age because their parents died in a class. Annie is a seer and Fia has perfect instincts. The school is very interested in what Fia can do, so the owner of the school uses Annie against Fia to get her to do whatever he wishes.

Fia is now an assassin for people and a cause that she does not believe in, but she risks her life and her soul to save her sister. If she doesn't do what she is told than her sister will be killed. What happens when Fia doesn't complete her mission? What if she saves her target instead? Read Mind Games to find out what happens.

I really liked Mind Games. I thought it was a very unique book and definitely different than anything else out there. When the book jumped all over the place between past and present, I was a little confused but soon caught on. I like the way Kiersten White has written Mind Games. It makes the reader work for once to keep everything in line. I think jumping between the past and present helped me to understand the characters better. I do think that Annie has an ulterior motive and I don’t necessarily thing that it is to help her sister. I think it is something sinister, and I’m looking forward to see what happens.

Mind Games was pretty intense to read. I had this book finished in a day and a half because I had to work, if I didn't have work, I probably would have finished it in a few hours. You get to see a little bit of each sister’s world, letting you see things through each one’s eyes. The characters are amazing and I think that they were developed really well. This is going to be a fantastic series and I can’t wait for the sequel.


I give "Mind Games" five out of five bookshelves.







No comments