Search This Blog

Book Review: Asunder by Jodi Meadows



DARKSOULS
Ana has always been the only one. Asunder. Apart. But after Templedark, when many residents of Heart were lost forever, some hold Ana responsible for the darksouls–and the newsouls who may be born in their place.

SHADOWS
Many are afraid of Ana’s presence, a constant reminder of unstoppable changes and the unknown. When sylph begin behaving differently toward her and people turn violent, Ana must learn to stand up not only for herself but for those who cannot stand up for themselves.

LOVE
Ana was told that nosouls can’t love. But newsouls? More than anything, she wants to live and love as an equal among the citizens of Heart, but even when Sam professes his deepest feelings, it seems impossible to overcome a lifetime of rejection.

In this second book in the Incarnate trilogy, Ana discovers the truth about reincarnation and will have to find a way to embrace love and make her young life meaningful. Once again, Jodi Meadows explores the extraordinary beauty and shadowed depths of the soul in a story equal parts epic romance and captivating fantasy.

Jan. 29, 2013
Ages 13 and up
Katherine Tegen Books
Reviewed: ARC




WOW! WOW! WOW!

I did not see that coming. I didn’t see any of that coming. I am speechless. I don’t know what to say.

As you can imagine I finished Asunder by Jodi Meadows. If you haven’t read it, stop reading this and go pick up a copy right now. Actually if you haven’t read Incarnate, which is the first novel in the NewSoul series, then go pick that up first. I don’t really know what to say, that was an incredible ending. I am not totally sure how I am going to wait for the next novel to come out.

WARNING – Spoilers from the first book are listed below. Do not read unless you have read the first book if you want to avoid spoilers.

Asunder by Jodi Meadows is the continuation story of Ana, a new soul. Last time we saw Ana, she had just met her father for the first time and he killed Li, who will not be reincarnated again due to Janan being poisoned and now there is the expected arrival of more new souls. Sam and Ana have traveled to see if they can find some answers and to give Ana a break from the people of Heart because everyone blames her for the death of their friends from Templedark.

Setting:

Jodi Meadows uses the same beautiful setting as she did in Incarnate. You have the Range which is outside of Heart, which is where Ana and Sam spend their time in the beginning of Asunder. Then there is Heart, the main city where everyone lives. Each person has their own home in the city of Heart except for Ana. She still has to live with Sam, since Sam is considered to be her guardian. You learn a lot more about the temple in Asunder too.

Characters:

I love Ana’s growth and development in Asunder. Ana discovers not only new things about herself but also about the world and people around her. Ana also learns whether she, a “new soul”, is able to love since she is not a “no soul,” like she grew up to believe. Ana isn’t little Ana anymore. She is a brave girl that is ready to stand up for what she believes in and protects those she cares about. Ana makes a new friend in this novel and meets some new enemies.

Sam is still swoony, in case you were wondering. I love Sam even more after this novel; however there were still times I thought he was incredibly pig headed. Sam has to deal with his own complicated life problems like when an old flame appears in his life again or when he has to come to terms with the fact that not all of his friends agree with his and Ana’s relationship.

I really liked Cris. Cris is a new character in this novel and he becomes one of my favorites. I like how Cris likes to take care of things and that he doesn’t give up easily. I really hope we get to see Cris in novel 3.

Sarit is still Sarit and beautiful as ever. Always making honey and keeping track of her friends.

Stef…I definitely don’t like Stef…at all. I can understand that she cares about Sam and wants the best for him, but she really just needs to back off. She seems to like making issues worse for people and that really bothers me.

There are some new souls to meet in this book. I can’t wait to hear more about them in novel 3 and find out if there will be anymore new souls.

Asunder had my emotions all over the place, one minute I wanted to throw my copy across the room and the next moment I was crying. I was baffled, heartbroken, happy, excited, tearful, outraged, and several more emotions that aren’t coming to mind, as I read this book. Jodi Meadows!!! Why did you do this to me?! Asunder will take you for a roller coaster ride of emotions, so you should definitely check it out and go to your nearest bookstore today! Do not pass go, do not collect $200.00!



Jodi’s response to my "Asunder" emotions:



























I give "Asunder" five out of five bookshelves.





No comments